Google products including YouTube collects data and information from your searches, history and preferences.
Personal data collected
When signing up for YouTube you are using a google service which collects information from you, such as your email address, password, and name. Additionally if you include your phone number and payment information, Google then collects that information too. They also collect information from emails you send and receive, photos, videos and comments made on YouTube. They also collect the type of browser, device and apps that you are using. This includes information such as browser and device type and settings, operating system, mobile carrier and number, app version number, IP address, app crash reports and the date, time and referrer URL.
Personal data usage
YouTube uses data to:
- Recommend videos to you
- Determine which ads to show
- Understand what content in your country to show you
- Make improvements on their content
- Develop new services
- Understand how their services are used by you
When you sign up to use YouTube, any personal information you share with them indicates your consent for them to use your information.
Cookies and similar tech
With a YouTube account you can log into YouTube and subscribe to different channels. You can also set up parental controls, save your search settings, view your search history, save favorite videos, like and comment on videos and toggle adult content on and off. It is important to keep your account safe, and YouTube along with Google provide security measures to keep you safe. However, you need to fully understand what information is collected and shared to keep yourself safe as well.
Data shared with YouTube
How to protect your privacy
When using YouTube you can limit what information you share with Google when setting up your account and in the settings section when your account is already set up.
You can also:
- Choose to not add your phone number to your account.
- Not access YouTube from your phone, instead use a computer browser so it won’t collect your phone’s information.
- Clear the cookies, browsing history and more from your browser’s history settings.
- Use safe browsing or incognito in order to prevent YouTube from saving your browser information and keeping you logged in.
- Modify your information within your Google account.
- Use Privacy Checkup to see where you could improve your account’s shared information.
- Delete your uploaded YouTube content.
- Delete the YouTube app from your phone.
- Not use/sign-up for a YouTube account.
- Delete your Google account.
How to contact YouTube/Google about your privacy
If you live in the United States of America:
Google San Diego Office
6420 Sequence Dr
San Diego, CA 92121
Phone: +1 858-239-4000
If you live in the UK:
Google London – CSG Office
1-13 St Giles High St
London WC2H 8AG
Phone: +44 (0)20-7031-3000