Quora is a website that lets you ask questions about anything and have people with first-hand knowledge respond to those questions.
Personal data collected
Quora collects your personal information from you, third-parties, and automatically through the Quora Platform. This includes your provided profile information such as your name, contact information, topics you know about or find interesting, photo, and other information you decide to put in your public profile. With a profile, other users will be able to see your profile and other information you provide, such as questions and answers you post, your followers and who you follow, topics of interest to you, information you list as credentials, and your edits to Your Content.
Quora collects and stores the information and content you post on their Quora Platform, such as your questions, answers, photos, and comments. Your Content, date and time stamps, and all associated comments are available to the public for viewing, unless you posted some information anonymously. When you communicate with Quora through email, phone, the Quora Platform, or otherwise, they may maintain a record of your communications.
You can connect your Quora account with your Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google account, in which Quora will receive your profile and account information from these Linked Networks. Information that is automatically collected through cookies and other similar technologies includes your IP address, browser and computer or mobile type, browser language, mobile carrier, unique device identifier, location, and requested or referring URLs. They also collect information about your searches, page views, date and time of your visit, and other activity information from their Quora Platform. Quora receives information from you when you view content on or interact with the Quora Platform, even if you don’t have an account.
Personal data usage
Quora uses data to:
- Provide their services that they offer on the Quora Platform.
- Communicate with you about your use of the Quora Platform.
- Respond to your questions.
- Provide troubleshooting and for other customer service purposes.
- Tailor the content and information that they send and show you in the Quora Platform to your interests.
- Suggest followers and content.
- Offer location customization, personalized help and instructions, and otherwise personalize your experiences with them.
- Display interest based advertising.
- Improve their advertising and measurement systems so they can show you relevant ads.
- Measure the effectiveness of their ads and services.
- Send you news, newsletters, special offers, promotions, or to contact you about products and services that might interest you.
- Analyze how their services are being used.
- Develop new products and services.
- Comply with legal requirements.
- Protect from fraud and illegal activities.
Cookies and similar tech
In your account settings, you can enable or disable viewing adult content. Some posts you can do anonymously, including questions and answers. They will not associate your name, user ID, or profile information with these posts. They do not allow children under 13 (or 14 in some areas) to use their services. If they discover that they have a child’s information without parental consent, they will delete it.
Data shared with Quora
How to protect your privacy
You can protect your privacy on Quora in various ways, such as:
- Opting out of receiving marketing emails by going to your account profile settings, under your Emails and Notifications settings.
- Adjusting your Privacy Settings to not allow comments on your posts or answers.
- Blocking other users from your profile.
- Deleting your account permanently from your privacy settings.
- Deactivating your account and reactivating it whenever you are ready to.
- Opting out of interest based advertising.
How to contact Quora about your privacy
You can contact Quora via email or through postal mail at:
650 Castro Street
Mountain View, CA 94041