DotDash was formerly about.com, and now they have multiple services depending on your needs. Its affiliates are as follows: Verywell.com, TheBalance.com, Lifewire.com, TheSpruce.com, TripSavvy.com, and Thoughtco.com. These companies are all owned by about.com.
Personal data collected
DotDash collects some personal information you may provide them, such as name, contact information (like email address), date of birth, and more identifiable information about yourself. This information is used when you sign up for their newsletters, sweepstakes, participate in contests or other promotions. Any information you share while on their forums, taking surveys, or participating in discussions is considered public so you should not use sensitive information. When using DotDash’s websites, some information is automatically collected, such as IP address, operating system, browser and system settings, data about your computer or mobile phone, device identifiers, and information about what websites you have viewed.
Personal data usage
DotDash uses data to:
- Provide information, products, and services when you sign up (for example, a newsletter).
- Send you promotional offers for your interests.
- Reply to complaints, questions, requests, comments
- Provide user support and customer care.
- Show you other websites relevant to your interests.
- Customize information they share with you, such as features or advertisements.
- Respond to employment opportunities.
- Improve their websites.
- Research and analyze data relevant to their websites.
- Prevent fraud.
- Comply with legal requests.
Cookies and similar tech
DotDash collects some information through cookies, web beacons, pixel tags, third-party websites, and similar technologies. They do not support Do Not Track settings in your browser.
DotDash’s services are for ages 13 and older. Anyone under 13 is advised to not use their services or give their personal information to them. They also provide jobs for many different talents, including freelance ones.
Data shared with DotDash
How to protect your privacy
There are many options to protect your privacy on DotDash’s websites, such as:
- Unsubscribe from their emails.
- Use your browser to block cookies.
- Disable the flash cookies.
- Change options with third-party websites.
- Not accessing their website via mobile phone.
How to contact DotDash about your privacy
You can contact DotDash through email and include California privacy rights request in the subject line if you are from California. You can also send them postal mail at:
1500 Broadway, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10036